Monday, April 7, 2014

Deacon Warner Overby

After enduring what I felt was the most unbearable, painful, awful morning of my life we went to the hospital. Again. I don't know how women do labor with no drugs. I don't do pain. Ever. We take Mason to daycare, as it was a teacher work day.  So back we go. At this point, I was exhausted, frustrated, and borderline hysterical. They admitted me agian. However, this time a new Dr. was on call and the nurse said she would more than likely do my C-section today instead of tomorrow. This time I was dilated at 3 and in active labor. Whatever. I just wanted the pain to go away. Poor nurse stuck with me. After a bit, they did decide to do my surgery and began to get the ball rolling. Yay! I was still having contractions every 10 minutes, so waiting for the spinal tap seemed like a lifetime. Once I went back to the operating room, the anesthesiologist gave me my spinal tap. He had trouble at first and was hitting bone, which I felt. Finally, the pain was gone. This was very different than the epidural with Mason. No pain, but I could feel everything Dr. Sharma was doing. I felt the cut and her pulling out the head and then the body. Finally, at 3:32 pm, my sweet baby was here!!! Deacon Warner weighed 7 pounds and 1ounce and was 20 inches long. He was the sweetest, most precious thing and I just kept thanking God for giving much a miracle. Of course, it wouldn't be our lives of there wasn't chaos and nonsense following. My nurse let me know that Dr. Sharma made one side of my X-section scar longer than the other. I had to laugh bc that's totally something that world happen to me. I leave the OR and go to the post-op waiting area. I had the same nurse with me still. She went on and on about how much more pleasant I was to be around. Yeah, I did tell her I hated pain. Will left to go get Mason and let our families know our exciting, day early news. While I was waiting, the nurse gave me a plastic bag with D's DNA. Yes DNA. It's a new thing where they put all newborns DNA in the system. So much for Deacon being a serial killer. :) I was also informed that Deacon had some breathing problems at birth and that I would have to wait 5 hours to see him. 5 hours! I was devistated. Apparently, C-section babies are more at risk to have breathing problems because they don't go through the birth canal which squeezes fluids away from and out of them. I went to my room and waited.  Will and Mason came around 6 and we waited together. Finally, around 9, we were a family of 4 together. Will and Mason went home a while later and the baby and I rested. I got up at midnight to start walking around. They brought D to me around 5 am. A pediatrician from our doctors office came in to tell me that Deacon and I had a blood incompatibility and that they would have to monitor him for jaundice and anemia. Of course I also had multiple nurses and doctors let me know I failed my mandatory drug test they give all mothers. Yes, clearly I took the medication your doctors prescribed to me. Just gotta laugh it off I guess. Will took Mason to school and he stayed the night with our friends the Rudolph's. We spent the day in awe of our sweet angel. He had his surgery that afternoon. That night, my friend Janeen came to see us and meet Deacon. We also received excited news that my friend Whitney had her baby, a girl named Hardy. She and I attended grad school together and she lives an hour from us. Another friend from grad school, Ginger, had baby girl Rayner on 10/30. Ginger and I were also pregnant at the same time with Mason and her son Warner. They are a day apart.  The next day, we had pics made and later that afternoon, we were discharged. We had to wait for D to get another jaundice test, which showed it was better and not getting worse. We picked up Mason and finally, we were home.




No comments: